Anyone interested in membership to the Space Medicine Association and who is a current member or associate member of the Aerospace Medical Association may apply for membership by sending an application form and the full membership fee to the Secretary. Final review and approval for membership is made by the Executive Committee.
Qualification and Election for Membership:
- Be a Member or an Associate Member of the Aerospace Medical Association, and have demonstrated a genuine interest in forwarding the science of space medicine.
- Application for membership must be written upon the prescribed form and accompanied by the full amount of the Membership Fee. It should be forwarded to the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Upon receipt of an application, the Secretary-Treasurer will review the application and if complete, forward the name and pertinent information to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will review the application and notify the Secretary-Treasurer of the Committee’s decision.
Benefits of SMA Membership:
- Promotes professional fellowship among colleagues in space medicine and allied sciences
- Serves as a forum for international exchange on space medicine issues.
- Serves as a resource and advocate for space medicine-related issues before AsMA.
- Represents space medicine interests on AsMA committees including the Scientific Program Committee and AsMA Nominations Committee
- Promotes space medicine continuing education through SMA-sponsored and SMA-endorsed sessions at the annual AsMA meeting.
- Recognizes and encourages the development of young colleagues through the annual presentation of the Young Investigator Award.
- Promotes recognition of peers in space medicine and allied sciences through the annual presentation of the Hubertus Strughold Award and through nominations for awards presented by AsMA.
- Provides support to the nomination of Fellows to the AsMA
- Through voluntary participation in SMA committees and SMA leadership, allows for personal contributions to the organization.
- Provides access to the “Members Only” section of the SMA website containing the membership directory, Constitution and Bylaws, space medicine bulletin board, committee meeting information, and historical archives.